On Friday, October 12th, 2018, Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 released worldwide across PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC. Among many franchise firsts, Zombies fans were treated to a total of four maps in the day one Zombies experience. Included in this star-studded content lineup was IX (pronounced Nine), an undead arena set in Egypt during the Roman Empire.
As fans have come to expect from the Treyarch Zombies experience, IX held many secrets and quests for players to uncover and progress through the world of the Chaos story. However, it wouldn't be until nearly three years later that fans would uncover one of its more subtle Easter Eggs...
Shortly after the release of Black Ops 4, a disgruntled Activision QA Tester who had previously been assigned to the project took to Reddit to vent their frustrations with the company. During this skewed perspective into the development of the title, the QA Tester revealed several details about Black Ops 4 Zombies and its future content which were previously unknown.
Although many of the quests and future content releases were proven to be true, one particular quest on IX would remain unsolved for multiple years - despite the QA Tester's guidance. Note: The following quote contains inaccurate steps.
Once the Viking Funeral is completed and the Iron Bull is completed, there is another [Easter Egg] that can be completed.
First, use the shield to shoot the drumming gladiators during a gladiator round. You'll know it worked when it plays a guitar [riff] and the drummers will turn toward the arena and put their arms in the air. Next, the player has to melee nine zombies with the upgraded shield, while the blade is on fire.
I believe there are one or two more steps of either using the [Wonder Weapon] or a certain trap to kill nine zombies. It's been changed multiple times since I last tested it so it may be slightly different or require a different amount of kills.
A guitar rift will sound after completing each step. The physical reward I believe is just a random powerup. The main reward is that a destroyer will appear where the drummers and will appear to rocking out playing an air guitar. All destroyers will be able to play two animations; playing the air guitar and devil horns in the air.
Fast forward to April of 2021 and a user on Reddit has shared a collection of scripts which they claim to have reverse engineered. Among these scripts are the up-to-date logic for the various mechanics and quests found in Black Ops 4 Zombies. Using these scripts, fans have finally concluded the hunt for the Destroyer Guitar Easter Egg on IX!
- Craft and obtain the Brazen Bull shield weapon.
- Progress to a special round (Tigers, Destroyers, Marauders, etc.), then locate and shoot a Marauder found outside of the Arena that is hitting a drum. Once complete, the sound of a guitar string will play.
- Obtain a Pack-a-Punch'd weapon with the Kill-o-Watt alternate ammo type.
- Using the Kill-o-Watt weapon, kill 9 Zombies with headshots. Each successful kill will play another guitar string, repeat this process until the sound no longer activates.
- Using the Brazen Bull, melee kill Zombies until its blade is encompassed in flames.
- Navigate to the Odin Altar Room and shoot the Zeus tower with the Brazen Bull's Fire Storm ranged weapon. This will trigger the final guitar string sound effects.
- Finally, progress to the next special round and the Destroyer Guitar sequence will begin! This unique animation and soundtrack will occur for all subsequent special rounds for the remainder of the match.
Stay tuned to @CODTracker on Twitter for full Call of Duty coverage.
If you're new to Call of Duty Tracker, you should know that we also offer free services such as player statistics, leaderboards, and a cosmetics database. Consider checking us out and let us know on Twitter what you'd like to see next!